Self Catering Holiday Homes in Collooney, Co. Sligo
Collooney is located just off the N4 (Dublin to Sligo) and N17 (Sligo to Galway), a meeting point of both roads and 5 Km from Schoolhouse at Annaghmore and 7 km from Sligo town. There are several shops, pubs, restaurants, plus a chemist and a post office. The town was a significant railway centre, with no less than four railway stations. In addition to the one remaining Collooney railway station, opened on 3 December 1862, with trains serving Dublin & Sligo every three hours. There is a bus stop which serves Galway, Dublin, Knock, Donegal and Cork. The village of Collooney has a large monument just outside the town which commemorates the capture of a British gun by Bartholomew Teeling, when the combined Irish-French forces were under pressure at the Battle of Carricknagat. The French had come to Ireland in an abortive attempt to aid the Irish in the 1798 rebellion. Near the village is Markree Castle dating from the 17th century with 19th century additions. This was the home and demesne of the Cooper family. Collooney is a popular for game fishing also and a great base for exploring the bordering counties of Donegal, Leitrim, Mayo and Roscommon.
Schoolhouse at Annaghmore is an attractive rural building located by the Owenmore River and surrounded by mature...
- Garden views
|Showing 1 - 1 of 1 accommodations||